Gently Adjusting Misaligned Joints with Non-Force Chiropractic Techniques
While all chiropractic treatment focuses on realigning parts of the body to relieve discomfort, there are a range of different techniques available to do so. Depending on the particulars of your case, certain methods may be more suitable than others. For first-time patients or patients who are anxious about their appointment, Dr. Stanmore G, Langford III can use non-force chiropractic techniques to gently re-adjust the spine and joints at his office in Chula Vista, CA.
What are Non-Force Techniques?
Chiropractic care is used to relieve nerve compression or interference by realigning a person’s bones/spine. While this core focus has remained the same since its introduction to the US, chiropractors have since developed a wide range of techniques to achieve this aim. Dr. Langford practices two in particular at his office: impulse technique, and activator technique, and non-force techniques. In terms of intensity, non-force techniques are the gentlest on the body.
Where many traditional techniques require high velocity thrusts to realign subluxations, non-force techniques use low force. By minimizing the amount of force, the doctor can avoid inadvertently damaging already compromised to the tissues. While this category of treatments encompasses many different techniques, they all emphasize delivery without sudden movements, minimal force, and with minimal sound.
Non-force techniques are gentle enough to be used safely on infants or the elderly, but are still effective enough to significantly improve an athlete’s performance. As an additional bonus, x-rays are very rarely required to supplement these techniques.
Types of Non-Force Techniques
In addition to manual methods, non-force techniques encompass a wide variety of potential treatments, including:
- Impulse adjusting instruments: These handheld devices allow Dr. Langford to make minute adjustments faster and more accurately than by hand. Not only is the impulse adjuster tool up to several times faster than the human hand, it also minimizes cracking and popping noises during treatment.
- Activator: Like an impulse adjuster, this handheld device offers an alternative to traditional manual methods of realignment.
- Cold laser therapy: By stimulating tissue, this therapy can trigger rejuvenation of damaged areas and ease pain tied to nerve injury. Most patients barely feel the laser at all during treatment.
- BEST: Also known as the Bio Energetic Synchronization Technique, BEST is a therapy that uses pressure points around the body to alleviate pain due to psychological traumas.
Combined with traditional manual methods of treatment, these low-force tools and techniques offer patients a comprehensive chiropractic experience.
Are Non-Force Techniques Right for My Treatment?
Because non-force techniques are so gentle, Dr. Langford usually uses them on newer patients. This approach allows potentially nervous patients the chance to ease into treatment. We will typically only recommend more intense options once you have visited the office several times in association with the patients needs and wants for a better outcome.
Non-force techniques are gentle enough to be used safely on infants or the elderly, but are still effective enough to significantly improve an athlete’s performance.
In terms of application, non-force techniques can relieve pain tied to numerous different conditions, such as:
- Chronic back or neck pain
- Herniated discs
- Carpal tunnel
Regardless of the condition treated, these techniques offer a significant benefit: they can require fewer visits. Where some high velocity techniques may have to be performed several times before they take full effect, non-force methods can often help realign patients much more quickly.
Take Advantage of Low-Force Chiropractic Care Today
Dr. Langford offers a full range of chiropractic techniques at his office to ensure that patients receive comprehensive care. Contact our practice online to schedule an appointment.